Jun 25 2014
|Share This Post:|
You might have been told you should pursue a board seat to advance your executive career or for other, more altruistic reasons. Alternatively, you could have envisioned board membership as a desirable move on your own. In either case, the question arises: Should you really be a board member?
How to Determine Whether Board Membership is Right for You
Start by examining your reasons for considering the pursuit of a board seat. It’s important to understand your goals before you throw yourself into the chase.
Then take a look at the expectations for a board member in light of your current situation. For example:
4 Reasons You Might Want to Serve on a Board of Directors
As with any other major decision involving the management of your executive career, investigate the pros and cons of board membership thoroughly. Consider their potential impact—positive or negative—on your professional career, your personal life, or both. If you ultimately decide that you should be a board member, go for it. Just do it wisely.
|About Georgia Adamson|
This article was written by Georgia Adamson, MRW / ACRW, of BlueSteps Executive Career Services (BECS) and A Successful Career (www.asuccessfulcareer.wordpress.com). Georgia has served senior executives globally since 1993. Through intensive one-on-one consultations, Georgia helps executives uncover their strengths and highlight their most meaningful career accomplishments to position them for their next executive opportunity.
|About BlueSteps |
Be visible to retained executive search consultants at the world's top retained executive search firms.
As a member of BlueSteps, your career details will be confidentially provided to hundreds of the world’s leading retained executive search firms in over 75 countries. Benefits include:
• Confidentially increase your visibility to top executive recruiters
• Build stronger connections using a fully searchable directory of executive search consultants who are AESC members
• Explore executive job opportunities being filled by AESC member executive search firms
• Elevate your personal brand
• Plan your executive career management strategy
Click here to begin connecting with executive search firms >>
The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search
As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!