by Julia Salem
Jun 4 2014
BlueSteps recently hosted the #ExecCareer Chat: How to Attain a Top Board Seat, featuring Monica Burton, from Witt/Kieffer and Bob Pearson, from Pearson Partners International.
Some of the questions asked included:
- Landing the first board seat remains a challenge. What are the key success criteria for landing your first board seat?
- How does one decide on what is a practical objective—public, private, not-for-profit, etc?
- How can I make myself a more attractive candidate for board work?
- Do I need to know people who are already on boards to get on the short list for a board position?
- Would I have more appeal to a top board if I start by joining the board of a small co, start-up, or community org?
- What is a typical screening process for a Board Director candidate?
- How are decisions made by the board to accept or reject a Board Director candidate?
If you missed it, catch up on all the excellent advice that was given in the Storify transcript below.
Join us for the next #ExecCareer chat! More info >>
BlueSteps is an online career management service for senior executives. As an exclusive service of the Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC), BlueSteps enables senior executives to be visible to more than 8,000 AESC member executive search professionals who use BlueSteps to locate candidates. BlueSteps also offers a full suite of career management tools and resources specifically for senior-level executives. For more information, please visit BlueSteps.com.
Complimentary Webinar Recording: Expert Tips for Finding Your Next Board Seat
This webinar covered:
- How to develop a strategy to get a board seat
- How the board recruitment process actually works
- What are the current challenges and concerns for boards
- What qualities are sought after in a board candidate
- How diversity issues are affecting the board room
- And more...