Sep 7 2010
Job Search Advice from Executive Recruiters
AESC Member Executive Search Consultants offer their expert tips and advice on how to run a successful job search.
BlueSteps recently approached recruiters at AESC member search firms and asked them to recommend the best ways for an executive to proactively manage his or her career and find a new executive position in this challenging economic climate. Read on for their top job search tips!
- Expand your network, aiming to achieve at least one outcome from every networking meeting, whether it’s sharing knowledge or arranging to meet again to follow up on an idea.
- Raise your profile externally - speak at conferences, set up a cross industry forum, and present your views in the media.
- Keep your online presence alive and updated with a positive, visible profile to proactively manage and stimulate your executive career.
- Be smart about presenting your details to executive search firms – executives who are referred by someone already known to the search firm are more likely to be successful in getting to meet with the executive recruiter. Search firms like to be updated but not hounded by their candidates so make your contacts with them count.
- Highlight your strengths and achievements through metrics to raise your candidate profile in the pool of those searching for their next executive position.
- Develop high visibility with clients and key prospects and recruiters, create stronger ties with outside business leaders and broader connections within your institution and field of employment.
- If you’re in a ‘down’ industry, look to other industries that require skill sets similar to the one in which you are an expert.
- Look at ailing, if not failing companies - many are having a hard time retaining and recruiting top talent and may be a target-rich opportunity source in a downturn.
Remember that a lifetime BlueSteps membership gives you exposure to 6,000 top executive search professionals worldwide, alongside career resources and industry information.
Gain International Exposure to AESC Executive Search Consultants
BlueSteps is the exclusive service of the AESC that puts senior executives on the radar screen of over 6,000 executive search professionals in over 70 countries. Be visible, and be considered for up to 50,000 opportunities handled by AESC search firms every year. Find out more.
The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search
As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!