Search Consultants Confident of Growing Demand for Senior Executives


Mid Year Search Industry Outlook Reveals China, India and Brazil Expected to See Greatest Shortage of Talent

The mid-year executive search industry outlook is positive according to the majority of consultants, with confidence rising 11% from the start of 2010. The findings reveal that 67% of search consultants expect to see revenue growth in the second half of the year, while 27% predict revenues will stay the same. In total 94% are confident that they will see no decrease in demand for the remainder of the year. Nearly half the respondents plan to hire more consultants in the second half of the year, while 43% plan to maintain the same number of consultants.

China, India and Brazil are expected to see the greatest scarcity of talent in the latter half of 2010. Functions continuing to see the greatest talent shortage are Chief Executive, Chief Operating Officers and General Managers.

AESC President, Peter Felix, commented, “The latest results are indicative of an industry regaining strength following the downturn. Client organizations are beginning to think more strategically and are working with our member search firms to draw senior executive sourcing plans for the future. Once again there is talk of a talent shortage in certain industries and functions, even though unemployment levels remain high.  This is encouraging for candidates and our executive search consultants report that candidates are increasingly willing to consider career moves (from 21% in 2009 to 45% in 2010) despite concerns about market instability and the state of the economy.”

Healthcare/Life Sciences and Energy/Natural Resources are reported to be the strongest two sectors at the mid-year point and are expected to see the most growth in the second half of 2010, followed closely by the Industrial and Financial Services sectors.

BlueSteps members can access the full report.

Blog Newsletter


The Mid-Year Association of Executive Search Consultants (AESC) Member Outlook Survey of May 2010 totaled 217 responses from AESC executive search consultants worldwide, including 52% from EMEA, 29% from the Americas and 15% from Asia Pacific.

About BlueSteps
Would you like your career profile and resume/CV to be at the fingertips of 6,000 retained executive search professionals – all fully-screened members of the prestigious Association of Executive Search Consultants - in over 70 countries worldwide?

BlueSteps.com is uniquely positioned to offer you this opportunity, alongside access to the International Directory of Executive Search Firms, executive job market data and career management information. Find out more.

The Ultimate Executive Career Guide: Connecting with Executive Search

As a senior-level executive, you can use this guide to:
- Learn about executive search and how it differs from other forms of recruiting
- Discover the best ways to connect with executive search professionals
- Understand how the search process works
- Implement strategies that will help you become visible to the search community
- And more!

Download Now!

About the author

BlueSteps's picture

About BlueSteps

BlueSteps empowers executives to reach their career goals with strategic career planning.


At BlueSteps, we thoughtfully create career management solutions that are designed to help leaders advance their careers, stay on track to build a long-term career playbook, and become a strong leader. Our tools and resources will help you:
  • Advance your career with tools to keep you on track. 
  • Access insider job market intelligence from the experts.
  • Identify and network with the right recruiters.
  • Discover executive jobs and board positions not found elsewhere.
  • Connect with world class career advisors for support when you need it.

Start Owning Your Career Journey >>

Other posts by this author

Share your thoughts

Stay Connected